1. Your personal data: the legal basis and what we collect
We will need to collect personal data in some cases to carry out a service with you; in other cases, we will tell you if providing personal data is optional.
We will ask for your consent to collect your personal information for the following:
- to send you offers
- to send you newsletters and information about events
- to include you in photography or filming taking place on our vessels, office, kiosk or public areas
We will collect your personal information to perform a contract with you for the following services:
- contract and supplier payments
- venue and event bookings
- online bookings and enquiries
- enquiries and research
We will collect your personal information to comply with a legal obligation, such as:
- requests made under data protection law or Freedom of Information
Personal information we collect may include:
- your name, title, gender and date of birth
- postal and email addresses
- phone numbers
- family and spouse/partner details
- current interest and activities
- retail or café purchases
- employment information and professional activities
When we ask you to provide your personal information we will let you know why we are asking, and how we will use your data, and direct you towards this notice for more information.
2. How will we use the information about you?
We collect information about you in order to provide you with the service you have requested. Depending on your relationship with Forth Boat Tours, and the preferences you have indicated, data we hold may be used by us for the following purposes:
Marketing and communication
If you consent we well send you information about activities and services of the Forth Boat Tours that may be of interest to you, by post, telephone or email. If you have consented to receive marketing and later change your mind, you may opt out at a later date by emailing or using the contact details below.
Marketing communications may include:
- Details of other products, services or events related to Forth Boat Tours, such as offers, events, retail or café offers
- News and updates about Forth Boat Tours such as our marketing, learning or e-newsletters
- Surveys for market research purposes
- Responses to complaints, legal claims or other issues
Your information may be used in the following ways:
- Data screening and cleaning to check if we have accurate contact details for you
- Research and wealth screening to help us understand our customers
Research and Wealth screening
To help us understand our customers we may combine information that you volunteer to us with information from publicly available resources to build a profile which will enable us to ensure that our communications are relevant to you, and to give us insight into your interests.
You can choose to opt-out of being the subject of wealth screening, research, data cleansing or analysis simply by contacting us by email at or using the contact details below to contact us by post or telephone.
Who might we share your information with?
We will not sell your details to any third parties, nor disclose personal data to any third parties or external organisations, other than trusted data processors and service providers carrying out work on our behalf. Examples of data processors would be mailing houses, bulk email distribution services, or wealth screening and data cleaning organisations. We do comprehensive checks on any companies working on our behalf before we work with them, and put a contract in place that sets out our expectations and requirements, especially regarding how they manage the personal data they collect or have access to in line with the 1998 Data Protection Act and the incoming General Data Protection Regulations.
We will apply for your explicit and informed consent in the event that we require to share your data in any other way that is not covered in this policy.
4. How we keep your information secure
Forth Boat Tours has implemented security procedures and rules to protect the personal data under our control from unauthorised access, improper use or disclosure, or unauthorised modification. All employees and data processors are obliged to respect the confidentiality of the personal data of our customers.
5. Access to your information and retention
You have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you: this is called a Subject Access Request. If you would like a copy of some or all of your information, please email or write to us at the address below.
We fully comply with the terms of the Data Protection Act (1998) and the incoming General Data Protection Regulations (2018), and will respond to any requests to remove, change or provide any personal details you have given us under the terms of the Act and Regulations, including the right to be forgotten.
Your information will be retained within Forth Boat Tours secure systems for as long as you continue to engage with Forth Boat Tours services and events.
Cookies are text files placed on your computer to collect standard internet log information and visitor behaviour information. This information is used to track visitor use of the website and to compile statistical reports on website activity.
For further information visit www.aboutcookies.org or www.allaboutcookies.org.
You can set your browser not to accept cookies and the above websites tell you how to remove cookies from your browser. However, in a few cases some of our website features may not function as a result.
7. CCTV and filming/photography by Forth Boat Tours
CCTV is used extensively throughout our vessels, kiosk and public areas and outstations to monitor the activities of individuals. Forth Boat Tours abides by the CCTV Code of Practice in the management of information recorded and retained by surveillance equipment.
Filming and photography may take place on our vessels, offices, kiosk or public areas during special events and other occasions, and visitors will be notified of this through the use of posters and verbal instructions.
Visitors will be asked to sign a consent form if they are to feature prominently in any recording made, and these consent forms will be retained according to Forth Boat Tours retention schedule in a secure environment.
8. Other websites
9. Data controllers and how to contact us
The designated Data Controllers for Forth Boat Tours are:
- Sales, Marketing & Development Manager
- You have a right at any time to stop us from contacting you for marketing or any other purpose.
Forth Boat Tours
Unit 7, Port Edgar Marina
0131 331 3030